1. Welcome to the Recumbent Riders International forums.
    You are currently viewing the discussion boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post and reply to topics, communicate privately with other members, download/upload content and access other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please,
    Join the community today!
    If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Axle snapped off - Trike

Discussion in 'Maintenance and Repair' started by glenn_aircooled, Apr 24, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. glenn_aircooled

glenn_aircooled

Region:
    East
    State/Country:
    Australia
    City:
    Liverpool
    Ride:
    Trike alloy Per
    Name:
    Glenn
    Of course it weighs on my mind that if the Right one broke then what is the condition of the left one ???????
    -
    The previous owner of this trike was a " little heavier" than me. [ umm maybe around the 115 kg ]
    He did mention that he rode over kerbs - something that I have avoided
    although 5 times have stopped and crawled down over a Kerb. You know slowly dropping each wheel down , one wheel at a time - I am talking very carefully here.
    I do ride in very dark conditions in the morning and have hit paving joints with steps like 3/4 inch high at high speeds.
    Maybe the combination of all these took their toll.

2. smyrna5

smyrna5

Region:
    SouthEast
    State/Country:
    GA
    Ride:
    RANS Tailwind
    Name:
    Larry
    Glenn - I think you are right. The fact that it was still hanging on by a small sliver of metal does suggest that it was not shear that broke it. I think I will dig out the physics book and calculate how much tension cornering on a trike puts on the axle bolts. About how fast and at what radius would you say you can corner on that thing?

3. glenn_aircooled

glenn_aircooled

Region:
    East
    State/Country:
    Australia
    City:
    Liverpool
    Ride:
    Trike alloy Per
    Name:
    Glenn
    20 inch front wheels. diameter.
    22 kg [ 48.5 LBS] mass of trike , 85 kg [ 187.39lbs] mass of rider
    corner 34 km/h [ 21.1 mph] , 4m [ 13.12 feet] radius [ thats a roundabout]
    I think the weight distribution is 60 / 40 % More on front wheels
    -
    Please do some calcs Larry.

4. glenn_aircooled

glenn_aircooled

Region:
    East
    State/Country:
    Australia
    City:
    Liverpool
    Ride:
    Trike alloy Per
    Name:
    Glenn
    The engineer at work forwarded the suggestion that " the thread cuts at the highest stress point - was probably deliberately made to create a weak spot. "
    " the idea being that it gives the axle some where to snap should the force on it be too large " , Thus saving the frame. If you like , a failsafe designed to save damaging the frame.
    -
    This may or may not be True but I would rather have the stronger axle. A premature snapping of the axle is too Dangerous. I shudder to think what may have happened if the axle let go whilst I was going 60 km/h [ 42 miles] down a hill.

5. nickys68chevy

nickys68chevy

Region:
    West
    State/Country:
    FL
    City:
    Clearwater
    Ride:
    prfrmr agenda fwd
    Name:
    nick
    i have a Performer jl70 that uses the same front axles as you have on you trike. i have just recentlty changed to the ice trikes 36h hubs so i can easily take my wheels off without having to take the brakes off, as a result i have 2 wheels with good axels i'm willing to part with. let me know and i will get everything weighed (i'm in florida)

6. glenn_aircooled

glenn_aircooled

Region:
    East
    State/Country:
    Australia
    City:
    Liverpool
    Ride:
    Trike alloy Per
    Name:
    Glenn
    Thank you Nick , but I would rather make the second axle to suit the one already modified - so they are both the same.
    I certainly would have jumped at the option a few weeks ago.
    Cheers, Glenn.