1. Welcome to the Recumbent Riders International forums.
    You are currently viewing the discussion boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post and reply to topics, communicate privately with other members, download/upload content and access other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please,
    Join the community today!
    If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Axle snapped off - Trike

Discussion in 'Maintenance and Repair' started by glenn_aircooled, Apr 24, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. glenn_aircooled

glenn_aircooled

Region:
    East
    State/Country:
    Australia
    City:
    Liverpool
    Ride:
    Trike alloy Per
    Name:
    Glenn
    the axle is 12 mm which is what is recommended from all trike literature I have read. Trouble is that where it broke is where thread is cut in and diameter goes down to 11 mm - at the highest stress point.

2. glenn_aircooled

glenn_aircooled

Region:
    East
    State/Country:
    Australia
    City:
    Liverpool
    Ride:
    Trike alloy Per
    Name:
    Glenn
    you see on Buddy's image that the Greenspeed axle has a larger diameter boss or collar at the highest stress point.
    This concept is what I envisaged to improve mine , but also as suggested by AD to have a larger diameter axle next to that as well.
    -
    I went to the Fastener shop this morning to see what they had, bad luck for me that yesterday was Public Holiday so they are having a long weekend - went to 2 others in the area as well and none were open.
    -
    Im getting so desperate that I may have to break out the DF for a ride [ I can feel the pain just thinking about it ] as I have put on 2 Kg [ 4 1/2 LBS ] after missing just 2 days riding and that seemed to go straight on my Belly :no9:
    My metabolism seems tuned to daily " marathons " .

3. A.D.

A.D. #1 Custodian

Region:
    SouthEast
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Athens
    Ride:
    Reynolds T-Bone
    Name:
    AD
    Just one thought on a larger diameter axle, it might be possible to find some replacement bearings with the same Outer Diameter, but with a bit larger Inner Diameter sleeve. If so, that might be a work-around for the longer term so you'd end up with a bit beefier axle. :smile9:

4. glenn_aircooled

glenn_aircooled

Region:
    East
    State/Country:
    Australia
    City:
    Liverpool
    Ride:
    Trike alloy Per
    Name:
    Glenn
    yes , exactly, that is how all automotive stub axles do it. So you end up with more material at the place you need it most.
    will do a search to see what bearings are available

5. glenn_aircooled

glenn_aircooled

Region:
    East
    State/Country:
    Australia
    City:
    Liverpool
    Ride:
    Trike alloy Per
    Name:
    Glenn
    I'm a Happy Chappy again.
    The only delay in getting my Trike back on three wheels was the long weekend - just bad timing.
    I bought the bolt this morning , 3 hrs later - all done.
    So ....
    Just decided to keep it simple and STRONG.!
    Bought a bolt [ well was given a bolt :biggrin9: ] a Grade 8 1/2 inch 5 inch long with the correct thread as per standard.
    - Filed out the nut as spacer
    - Made a spacer between bearings
    [​IMG]

here's the pieces.

6. glenn_aircooled

glenn_aircooled

Region:
    East
    State/Country:
    Australia
    City:
    Liverpool
    Ride:
    Trike alloy Per
    Name:
    Glenn
    Because I did not want weak spot where it was before , the Plain shank now goes inside the steering support - thus had to drill out threads for some of the way through the hole

[​IMG]

7. glenn_aircooled

glenn_aircooled

Region:
    East
    State/Country:
    Australia
    City:
    Liverpool
    Ride:
    Trike alloy Per
    Name:
    Glenn
    The lovely Gold spacer made of Wonderful quality bicycle tubing came from the Raleigh of course [ thank you Raleigh for your donation ]
    [​IMG]

Fine old tubing that . :)
    suppose the slight taper is not optimum but all the other tubes where too big.

8. glenn_aircooled

glenn_aircooled

Region:
    East
    State/Country:
    Australia
    City:
    Liverpool
    Ride:
    Trike alloy Per
    Name:
    Glenn
    This is how it bolts together - A little long thread inside but I can always cut it

[​IMG]

9. glenn_aircooled

glenn_aircooled

Region:
    East
    State/Country:
    Australia
    City:
    Liverpool
    Ride:
    Trike alloy Per
    Name:
    Glenn
    and wheel on - because I used exactly same epacing as previously - the disk brake lines up perfectly
    [​IMG]
    And tomorrow I ride into the Sunset ...... well on the way home any way. :laugh9:

10. glenn_aircooled

glenn_aircooled

Region:
    East
    State/Country:
    Australia
    City:
    Liverpool
    Ride:
    Trike alloy Per
    Name:
    Glenn
    Oh did I mention that ordinary bolts may have Rating of 70 000 lbs/in sqaured whereas this Grade 8 is 150 000 lbs/in squared.
    So very High tensile.

11. smyrna5

smyrna5

Region:
    SouthEast
    State/Country:
    GA
    Ride:
    RANS Tailwind
    Name:
    Larry
    Not that it matters all that much with respect to such large numbers, but I wonder if that axle may have failed due to shear, not tension. A common rule of thumb used to estimate shear strength is 60% of tensile strength.

12. smyrna5

smyrna5

Region:
    SouthEast
    State/Country:
    GA
    Ride:
    RANS Tailwind
    Name:
    Larry

I've seen similar recommendations, but interestingly on the Atomic Zombie bike builders forum, which I belong to, he says he has snapped 1/2" trike bolts hitting bumps and curbs, and therefore recommends 14mm at a minimum, and often 20mm for heavier riders. I always kind of figured he was just overbuilding, but maybe he wasn't, based on your picture.

13. Buddy Bishop

Buddy Bishop Supporter

Region:
    NorthEast
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Greeneville
    Ride:
    Elect. Goldrush
    Name:
    Buddy
  14. A.D.

A.D. #1 Custodian

Region:
    SouthEast
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Athens
    Ride:
    Reynolds T-Bone
    Name:
    AD
    Glenn, you do good work! :cool9: I've learned several things just reading through this thread. :jiggy9:

15. glenn_aircooled

glenn_aircooled

Region:
    East
    State/Country:
    Australia
    City:
    Liverpool
    Ride:
    Trike alloy Per
    Name:
    Glenn
    Buddy and Larry , I agree there is some risk with going too brittle.
    I would not be happy with a standard bolt as I would be concerned with it getting bent slightly if I hit a nastly pavement joint. With disk brakes this would be a Journey stopper.
    The break does look like a shear break but the fact that it had a small portion still holding that last 3 miles [ at least that I know of ] makes me think it could not be sheared.
    -
    Thanks A.D. I could have done an even better job if I had been at work.
    I had to use an electric drill and hand hand file to flatten the spacer end off true. Would have used Lathe at work. Also would have used ordinary tubing instead of tapered tubing for the spacer.