1. Welcome to the Recumbent Riders International forums.
    You are currently viewing the discussion boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post and reply to topics, communicate privately with other members, download/upload content and access other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please,
    Join the community today!
    If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Tilting Delta Trike

Discussion in 'News' started by NewsBot, Mar 25, 2010.  |  Print Topic

1. NewsBot

NewsBot Fetching Recumbent News

Name:
    I am a Robot
    The Leano was inspired by Carlos Calleja's three-wheeled Ducati.

[​IMG]

This tilting trike was inspired by a Spanish builder, Carlos Calleja. He set up a Ducati motorbike with tilting rear wheels, and claims cornering speeds were up by 30%. Major brands like Volvo and BMW have tilting designs in the works. The Dutch Sascha Knoop invented the Driewiebel, a parallelogram Tadpole trike.

[​IMG]

The front part of the Separable Low Racer was working well, so a tilting rear part was thought up with the two wheel axles mounted on parallel mono arms, interconnected by a cross beam. The core of the tilting mechanism is the rotating bridge, connected to the mono arms by tie rods and rod ends. As recumbents need suspension by definition, this was isolated by a coil over shock element. Initial test rides revealed that a locking mechanism was necessary. This would make starting much easier with no need to unclip for stops. After a fair bit of head scratching, Eric Wannee pointed out the disk brake solution. It appeared to work very well, as long as the wheelchair parking brake wasn't locked at speed: this meant a sudden dive in the scenery. Somewhere in my future there's a faired tilting trike, possibly monocoque, but cost is an impediment for the time being.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

source Fast FWD

2. Rocketmantn

Rocketmantn Rider

Region:
    East
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Knoxville
    Ride:
    Strada, Corsa
    Name:
    Jon
    So Bill,

What do you think since you have a leaning trike in YOUR possession???

3. Fire Fly

Fire Fly

Region:
    West
    State/Country:
    MS
    Ride:
    Tera Trike Tour
    Name:
    Linda
    I wouldn't mind the cornering, but wouldn't it get on your nerves going down the highway as all roads are sloped as it is? I'm always glad when there isn't much grade in the road.

4. RealEngr

RealEngr Supporter

Region:
    SouthEast
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Seymour
    Ride:
    EDGE Koosah
    Name:
    Bill
    Jon,

My trike will be going back together soon. I have a Nexus7 hub with roller brake coming. It turns out that is what the dropouts were designed for so it will be back running in the next couple of weeks. It is Zack's trike and he is wanting me to build him a Velomobile around it.

It works great from slow speed up to 20mph. After that the lean is not proportional to the steer. It is a 'pure lean steer'. The Leano is a actually a bike that has two wheels substituting for the rear back wheel. I have talked to Bram about his design and last I saw, he had a version he was about to make commercially available called the Mungo. The film of this is quite impressive. Leaning deltas are starting to 'grow' in numbers in the homebuilt community because some of these guys have gotten rid of a lot of the bugs and are winning races with them.
    As to riding on a crowned road...Doesn't matter because the trikes 'act like' bikes. You would simply stay vertical with the wheels in back adjusting to the crown. What steers you in these trikes is the fork just like in a regular bike. There are some awesome videos of these. I really want to build one of these later.
    Cool thing: I can ride this without hands. Just lean your hips out and shoulders over and the bike will turn.

5. Fire Fly

Fire Fly

Region:
    West
    State/Country:
    MS
    Ride:
    Tera Trike Tour
    Name:
    Linda
    Oh, OK. That is a good explaination RealEngr. Makes sense.

6. A.D.

A.D. #1 Custodian

Region:
    SouthEast
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Athens
    Ride:
    Reynolds T-Bone
    Name:
    AD
    Tripped across a couple of videos on YouTube showing another interesting configuration...