1. Welcome to the Recumbent Riders International forums.
    You are currently viewing the discussion boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post and reply to topics, communicate privately with other members, download/upload content and access other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please,
    Join the community today!
    If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Chance To Buy a Burley Hep Cat or a Rans V Rex. Which One?

Discussion in 'Recumbent Discussions' started by timacn, Aug 31, 2019.  |  Print Topic

1. timacn

timacn

Region:
    East
    State/Country:
    PA
    City:
    Lancaster
    Ride:
    No Bike Yet
    I am a newbie to recumbent riding. Have only ever ridden a Bike E recumbent but have a chance to buy a better machine at a good price. Here's my question: Generally speaking, do you have a preference between a Burley Hep Cat and a RANS V Rex? These two bents are available for sale near here for about $500. Both appear to be in good shape.

2. A.D.

A.D. #1 Custodian

Region:
    SouthEast
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Athens
    Ride:
    Reynolds T-Bone
    Name:
    AD
    First let me qualify the fact that I've never ridden either bike, but from the folks I've known who have had a V-Rex seem to (really) love it. :loving: Some riders like them so much, they even have a pair of V-Rexes in their stable of bikes. (...such as Rocketmantn)

bjjoondo likes this.
  3. bjjoondo

bjjoondo

Region:
    Middle
    State/Country:
    CO
    City:
    Colorado Springs
    Ride:
    ICE Sprint 2 SE
    Name:
    BJ
    Have to agree with A.D. Burley is a decent machine but those V-Rex's are sweet! If it's in as good as condition as the Burley for the money, I too would recommend the V-Rex! :)

4. OR-HepCat

OR-HepCat

Region:
    West
    State/Country:
    OR
    City:
    Eugene
    Ride:
    Burley Hepcat
    Name:
    Paul
    I bought my HepCat about a year and a half ago, my first and only bent so far. I can't really compare it to the RANS since I have never even seen one. I looked at some pictures online and it looks to me like it has a higher center of gravity than the HepCat, which might be a factor for you if you are still new to riding a bent. I'm guessing it might feel less stable at lower speeds or on downhill runs.

I have no reqrets in buying the Burley. It's very comfortable to ride and I have many happy miles on it. I get a lot of compliments on its aesthetics when I'm out on the bike path.

I'm sure you can't loose with either choice since the RANS has a lot of enthusiastic owners.

A.D. likes this.
  5. Geyatautsilvsgi

Geyatautsilvsgi Supporter

Region:
    SouthEast
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Seymour
    Ride:
    ?
    Name:
    Geyatautsilvsgi
    If you ever need parts for your Hepcat let me know. My husband bought Burley's entire recumbent bicycle stock years ago when they stopped making them. We still have lots of original manufacturing parts.

(In fact if anyone need parts let me know. I have lots of stuff as well as lots of stuff from my bike shop.)

DozerCSX and A.D. like this.
  6. OR-HepCat

OR-HepCat

Region:
    West
    State/Country:
    OR
    City:
    Eugene
    Ride:
    Burley Hepcat
    Name:
    Paul
    Thanks, Serenity. Good to know.

7. BlazingPedals

BlazingPedals

Region:
    North
    State/Country:
    MI
    City:
    Haslett
    Ride:
    M5CHR
    Name:
    John
    The Hepcat was a cost-reduced version of the Django, IIRC. The Django was often compared to the V-Rex as similar quality and performance.

bjjoondo likes this.
  8. dcasey1

dcasey1

Region:
    SouthEast
    State/Country:
    FL
    City:
    PBG
    Ride:
    Schlitter Encore
    V-Rex is nimble, practical, comfortable and well built. If you ride faster than 15-16 mph, you may want to consider a more reclined position offered by several brands.

bjjoondo and A.D. like this.
  9. Rocketmantn

Rocketmantn Rider

Region:
    East
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Knoxville
    Ride:
    Strada, Corsa
    Name:
    Jon
    I guess I am in the unique position of having ridden BOTH bents. I owned 2 V Rexs and loved them. A V Rex is a mule of a recumbent. I did a Century on one but also the GAP trail which was a composite trail. I didn't even change tires for either one. It is a steady, durable and forgiving recumbent. The Hepcat is also a great recumbent. It handled well but you are in a more reclined position. The V Rex you can get yourself fairly upright to ride it. They are both very similar.

I would give the nod to a V Rex only because I rode them for 10 years. Only reason I sold them was I had too many bents in my garage. They were the oldest models so off they went to new homes.

bjjoondo likes this.
  10. eretzler

eretzler

Region:
    Middle
    State/Country:
    OH
    City:
    Columbus
    Ride:
    None yet
    Hey. Are you still around? Came across this thread in 2023. Wondering if you still have Hepcat parts?

11. Geyatautsilvsgi

Geyatautsilvsgi Supporter

Region:
    SouthEast
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Seymour
    Ride:
    ?
    Name:
    Geyatautsilvsgi
    Yes...just been excruciatingly busy with my regular work...

12. DozerCSX

DozerCSX

Region:
    West
    State/Country:
    CA
    City:
    Silicon Valley
    Ride:
    Rans Vivo, Rocket, +
    Name:
    Dozer
    I have several Rans and a Burley Canto, which is the convertible sister of the Hepcat.

- If you are a heavy rider, I recommend the Burley - those frames are handmade in Oregon and rated for up to 325lbs riders. And because they are so overbuilt, it'll last forever.

- If you are a SPEED head, the Vrex is faster.

- Rans triangle rear frames are very firm, and can even be a bit harsh based on your tire selection.
    - Burley frames are exquisitely engineered monocoque frames (like an F1 race car) BUT have passive flex built in to the rear section, so they are never harsh, always a Cadillac ride. So if ride compliance is a priority, get the Burley.

They are both great bikes, you won't go wrong either way... just check your requirements.

A.D. likes this.