1. Welcome to the Recumbent Riders International forums.
    You are currently viewing the discussion boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post and reply to topics, communicate privately with other members, download/upload content and access other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please,
    Join the community today!
    If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Axle snapped off - Trike

Discussion in 'Maintenance and Repair' started by glenn_aircooled, Apr 24, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. glenn_aircooled

glenn_aircooled

Region:
    East
    State/Country:
    Australia
    City:
    Liverpool
    Ride:
    Trike alloy Per
    Name:
    Glenn
    When my front wheel seemed to come loose, I tightened nut and axle snapped and wheel fell off.
    No I did not over tighten the nut, the axle had broken partly through whilst I was riding, the small extra load of twisting on nut finished it off.
    - This is probably not a common occurance.
    I can not believe this happened.
    -
    Am thinking I will have to make my own axle to replace it, guessing it should be High Tensile. .. Is there any other qualities that the axle should have ?
    I'll do some internet searching for tips.
    [ yes I have Lathe and tapping tools ]

2. A.D.

A.D. #1 Custodian

Region:
    SouthEast
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Athens
    Ride:
    Reynolds T-Bone
    Name:
    AD
    Wow, first I've ever heard of such happening.:o_O9: My first thought would be lots of research on what material and/or using a slightly larger diameter axle, even if it has to be turned down to a smaller diameter at the ends.

Breaking an axle at anytime is bad, but it could have been much worse at speed. :shocked:

3. glenn_aircooled

glenn_aircooled

Region:
    East
    State/Country:
    Australia
    City:
    Liverpool
    Ride:
    Trike alloy Per
    Name:
    Glenn
    I will get some pics when all dismantled. Thinking I should make two stub axles and keep checking the Left one.
    My ride to work is on concrete pathed sections for 20 km [ 12 miles ] so the pathing joints banging away for 3000 km [ 1864 miles ] may have taken its toll.
    I have wider tyres on the front - pump them up to 60 PSI - which is not at the maximum [ I think its 100 PSI Max. ]

4. Buddy Bishop

Buddy Bishop Supporter

Region:
    NorthEast
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Greeneville
    Ride:
    Elect. Goldrush
    Name:
    Buddy
    Bolt it

That's not good. Bolt it with a double nut on each side. What is that grade
    bolt? Number 8? Do whatever you need to do to avoid a crash. Park bicycle tools make a thin 15mm wrench that works well for pedals and such. OK, I know that is all overkill, but be safe out there.

5. maxairedale

maxairedale

Region:
    South
    State/Country:
    KY
    City:
    Columbia
    Ride:
    ICE Adventure HD FS
    Name:
    Gary
    Hi Glenn,

You may want to contact the manufacturer of your trike, there may be a recall on the bolts. If there is you may get new bolts for both sides.

Gary

6. altozwei

altozwei

Region:
    North
    State/Country:
    TX
    City:
    Oak Cliff
    Ride:
    Catrike
    Name:
    Patti
    Even if there is not a recall, the manufacturer should be made aware of the problem. Take photos and send them to the company. I don't remember what trike you have, but often the companies are good about sending replacement parts when something fails.

7. glenn_aircooled

glenn_aircooled

Region:
    East
    State/Country:
    Australia
    City:
    Liverpool
    Ride:
    Trike alloy Per
    Name:
    Glenn
    I have pics but they are on the Ipad , so have to get them transferred to PC.
    The axle is a complicated piece of work, not just a threaded each end rod.
    Of course it broke on the weak spot where they machined a thread beside a bearing surface, Cracked at the end of the thread.
    Sorry to say that it is a poor design - I have been researching axles and stub axles , most of course increase in diameter at the highest stress point [ of course ] but this Performer "Taiwanese" unit actually has the thinnest point at the highest stressed point. [ Exactly where it broke ]
    I will get the pics up soon
    [ I have to say on balance that the trike is generally good quality for the price .... dont want to bad mouth the company unduly ]
    I will contact the Australian distributor and Company - But I imagine the time to get any thing from them would be in months .... and I want to ride this trike in days if possible - I like it a Lot. :smile9:

8. glenn_aircooled

glenn_aircooled

Region:
    East
    State/Country:
    Australia
    City:
    Liverpool
    Ride:
    Trike alloy Per
    Name:
    Glenn
    Picture of the inside of the front wheel with axle sitting in its location.
    Note threaded section screws into pivoting support with nut tightened each side.
    [​IMG]
    -
    This shows both sides of break, think I rode the last 5km [ 3 miles ] with 20 percent holding wheel on
    [​IMG]
    -
    Mock up of axle - notice break is right at end of thread & there is smooth bearing surface next to break.
    I scraped the axle using Vise grips to try to remove the Nylock Nut .... and failed [ my bench vise has broken ]
    [​IMG]

9. glenn_aircooled

glenn_aircooled

Region:
    East
    State/Country:
    Australia
    City:
    Liverpool
    Ride:
    Trike alloy Per
    Name:
    Glenn
    from last pic - see that the axle has built in bearing stop sections. You cant see behind bearing but there is another against it as well. I intend to use a loose sleave to space bearings apart.
    The ideal Material from what I read today is Chrom Moly, next down in strength is High Tensile bolt steel.
    - An improvement to design I feel [ but need to check assembly steps ] would be a large stop machined into axle to replace one nut , no thread through the pivoting support and just thread at end to for Inside nut to tighten in place.
    -
    This would get rid of the thread at the weakest point and also put a thicker collar of steel to support this highest stressed section.
    Then to get really keen, The inside bearing with larger inside hole so the axle is thicker at the stress point. outside bearing can remain same size.
    -
    after seeing the thread - I dont think I have Die for this size , so tooling may add up a bit.
    I looked at some other cycle axles online for similar bikes and they are approx 80 dollars each. Did not say whether CrMo or not.

10. smyrna5

smyrna5

Region:
    SouthEast
    State/Country:
    GA
    Ride:
    RANS Tailwind
    Name:
    Larry
    Apologies if I missed it somewhere, but what is the diameter of that axle?

11. A.D.

A.D. #1 Custodian

Region:
    SouthEast
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Athens
    Ride:
    Reynolds T-Bone
    Name:
    AD
    Wow, I'm shocked. That is a HUGE axle. Jo's Catrike Speed simply uses skewers for each axle and they are only 4.5mm in diameter.

12. Buddy Bishop

Buddy Bishop Supporter

Region:
    NorthEast
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Greeneville
    Ride:
    Elect. Goldrush
    Name:
    Buddy
  13. A.D.

A.D. #1 Custodian

Region:
    SouthEast
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Athens
    Ride:
    Reynolds T-Bone
    Name:
    AD
    Hey Buddy, one can either add a picture as an Attachment (i.e. Manage Attachments button) -or- use the postcard icon (i.e. [​IMG]) to insert the URL for an image to appear within the text of the post.

14. maxairedale

maxairedale

Region:
    South
    State/Country:
    KY
    City:
    Columbia
    Ride:
    ICE Adventure HD FS
    Name:
    Gary
    Or you can use the [​IMG] method like I am with Buddy's link.

[​IMG]

Gary

15. Buddy Bishop

Buddy Bishop Supporter

Region:
    NorthEast
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Greeneville
    Ride:
    Elect. Goldrush
    Name:
    Buddy
    Got half of that

Now where is the IMG? OK, Gary, I think I got it. I was able to use AD's method to post the picture in my post. I'll write yours down and try it in another post.
    Made a "c" on cobol and fortran back in the dark ages, and this works very little for me. I'm so blessed to have you young minds to bail me out.