1. Welcome to the Recumbent Riders International forums.
    You are currently viewing the discussion boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post and reply to topics, communicate privately with other members, download/upload content and access other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please,
    Join the community today!
    If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The dog powered recumbent trike

Discussion in 'Gear and Equipment' started by A.D., Feb 12, 2008.  |  Print Topic

1. A.D.

A.D. #1 Custodian

Region:
    SouthEast
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Athens
    Ride:
    Reynolds T-Bone
    Name:
    AD
    First came the dog-powered scooter, now inventor Mark Schuette has developed a dog-powered recumbent trike that employs the same "dog behind a steering wheel" configuration with the added stability offered by a sit-down trike design and twice the steering power and braking power of the scooter.

The original scooter enables the human to ride standing up whilst the dog is harnessed into a frame and subject to steering and braking. As the scooter requires the rider to stand upright and balance it was not particularly appealing to some users (such as the elderly or physically handicapped). The new trike adopts a Tadpole design (two wheels in front) and has a harness space for a dog on each side of the rear wheels. Schuette’s inventions are the first dog pulled devices to place the dog behind a steering wheel. This is designed to give the rider precision steering control of the dog making it easier and safer to ride in an urban environment.

Although it has space for two dogs, the trike can be powered by just one. Additionally, the human assistance via pedaling offers a smoother ride than the kicking method on the scooter. It weighs about the same as a standard bicycle and takes only a small amount of pull/force to keep a steady speed once the rider pedals to get the vehicle rolling. The design of the trike also lends itself to mounting a hand crank method of propulsion, an attractive option for wheel chair athletes who need to use their hands/arms.

The trike, including a fender kit which protect pooch from coming into contact with the rear spokes, retails for USD$1100 plus shipping (around $150) and is available via the Dog-powered scooter website. The bolt-on dog rigging kit costs USD$200 per dog.

taken from Giz Mag

dprt1.gif

dprt2.jpg

2. laidback cyclist

laidback cyclist Supporter

Region:
    NorthEast
    State/Country:
    OK
    City:
    Broken Arrow
    Ride:
    Ti Rush/V-Rex
    Name:
    Mike
    Re: The dog-powered recumbent trike

I think the eskimos had a similar idea a long time ago :laugh9:

3. SallyTN

SallyTN

Region:
    East
    State/Country:
    TN
    Ride:
    Vision R40
    Name:
    Sally

Sure but you have to have snow for the eskimos idea to work.
    I want one. I have two dogs that just love to pull. I have been thinking about a dog pulled chariot for a long time. One with excellent brakes.
    Sally

4. calboy147

calboy147 Email Defunct

Region:
    East
    State/Country:
    CA
    City:
    Newberry Springs
    Ride:
    noname trike
    Name:
    gene

thats funny;i have been looking for a way to mount a basket on the front of my trike so Bernard and i can cruise the flats and descents together then he can jump out and help mush us up the steeper hills.

5. calboy147

calboy147 Email Defunct

Region:
    East
    State/Country:
    CA
    City:
    Newberry Springs
    Ride:
    noname trike
    Name:
    gene

can you imagine what an e-ticket that will be when fido there surprises a cat

6. A.D.

A.D. #1 Custodian

Region:
    SouthEast
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Athens
    Ride:
    Reynolds T-Bone
    Name:
    AD

ha, ha, ho, ho, he, he :rolf2: Talk about wide-eyed! :yikes:

7. SallyTN

SallyTN

Region:
    East
    State/Country:
    TN
    Ride:
    Vision R40
    Name:
    Sally

There is no way I could fit my dogs in a basket and no way they would stay if they did fit. Maybe a hot air balloon basket but that is about it.
    One is hovering 65 LBS and the other is about 60lbs.
    Lovable but easily excited.
    Sally

8. WardJ

WardJ

Region:
    SouthEast
    State/Country:
    GA
    City:
    Columbus
    Ride:
    Windcheetah SS #481

it might work for my two greyhounds, I figure 30-35 mph easy....but they are easily distracted hmmmm:rofl9:

9. A.D.

A.D. #1 Custodian

Region:
    SouthEast
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Athens
    Ride:
    Reynolds T-Bone
    Name:
    AD

Sounds like you'd be needing Knobby tires then, and maybe a mudflap or two as well! :wink9:

10. A.D.

A.D. #1 Custodian

Region:
    SouthEast
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Athens
    Ride:
    Reynolds T-Bone
    Name:
    AD
    Urban Mushing: Inventor Creates Dog-Behind-The-Wheel Power And A New Sport

I never thought that dogs and drivers might have "issues" with dog sleds. But inventor Mark Schuette from Bend, Oregon says mushing can create steering battles because the dogs are in front of the riders and, therefore, have the ultimate steering control. That's why Schuette invented the first dog-behind-the-wheel Dog Powered Scooter, Dog Powered Trike, TrikeBike, and Dog Powered Skateboard, that put the dog behind the wheel instead of in front of it. Read on and see how you can urban mush your dogs.

Urban mushing with a Dog Powered Skooter is very stable, whether you have one or four dogs powering it. But note that none of these dogs arechihuahuas!

[​IMG]
    ©DogPoweredSkateboard

Urban mushing with a Dog Pulled Recumbent Trike is very exciting. The Trike can also be fitted with equipment for up to four dogs and, though Schuette only outfitted the Trike, he likes this particular model for its stability, sports car handling, and powerful steering and braking systems.

[​IMG]
    ©DogPoweredSkateboard

For you sissies, you can mush the Dog Powered Bike Trike that can go off-road. Shuette calls his Bike Trike the "ultimate rig for up to 4 big strong dogs."

[​IMG]
    ©DogPoweredSkateboard

Finally, the Dog Powered Skateboard is an urban mushing vehicle only for the best skaters. Remember, skateboards don't have brakes. Fortunately the Dog Powered Skateboard only accommodates 2 dogs, 2 more than I personally would want powering my skateboard. But yes, my speed is the TrikeBike.

[​IMG]
    ©DogPoweredSkateboard

Schuette says his behind-the-wheel dog pull fittings not only give mushers more steering control, but require very little dog training. He has a long list of do's and don'ts that focus on dog safety during dog-pulling.

Find out all there is to know from Mark Schuette himself at DogPoweredScooter.com.

source InventorSpot

11. Fire Fly

Fire Fly

Region:
    West
    State/Country:
    MS
    Ride:
    Tera Trike Tour
    Name:
    Linda
    Re: Urban Mushing: Inventor Creates Dog-Behind-The-Wheel Power And A New Sport

I've owned a lot of dogs. I made the mistake of going for a long walk with a dog in Texas heat. I did fine but my pooch had a hard time cooling off. I had to rob a lot of water hoses in yards and let him lay in airconditioning a long time when I got to my destination. This looks like doggy heat strokes waiting to happen. Two times around the block in the south will be enough for fido. Mushing in snow is way different and mush teams owners are well skilled in caring for the animals. Just carrying water with you isn't enough. I don't know why dogs overheat easier than humans but they do if they expend too much energy too quickly or for too long a time in the heat. Plus asphalt or concrete for long stretches wear the paw pads RAW and bloody.

12. janetjohnston

janetjohnston

Region:
    NorthWest
    State/Country:
    WA
    Ride:
    ICE
    Name:
    Janet
    my Dog loves to pull.

I am interested in purchasing a harness and leads for my dog so we can run and trike together. I think having the dog out front of the trike is a more efficient way for her to pull, but she is inexperienced as am I. Is there safe harness/rigging for inline single dog pulling of a tadpole trike (ICE Adenture)?
    Thanks Janet

13. Geyatautsilvsgi

Geyatautsilvsgi Supporter

Region:
    SouthEast
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Seymour
    Ride:
    ?
    Name:
    Geyatautsilvsgi
    You might want to go online and check for "dog sled" options. I am sure something would come up especially since people in Alaska still use dog sleds.

14. aenlaasu

aenlaasu

Region:
    SouthEast
    State/Country:
    Sweden
    City:
    Uppsala
    Ride:
    ICE Sprint 26
    Name:
    Terii
    I run my husky with me all the time (when the snows won't choke my derailleur) and I own a Trice Q ('06). After running with Loke for years, I wouldn't let him pull from the front. He can stop MUCH quicker than I can and there's also the risk of him veering off violently to the left or right after a cat, hare or pheasant which would cause all sorts of problems. :eek9:

That said, he pulls me just fine with a harness I found which clips just behind his shoulders. I have a bar along the back of my seat with a spring and tether arrangement so it has some give. He covers the miles right beside me and often gives me big doggie grins when we're racing down a particularly nice hill. :yes9:

If you want a picture of my arrangement take a look at my blog banner. http://terii.wordpress.com/

I found a better harness for him. I tried a sled harness once, but he sometimes would try to cut over to the left across my right wheel and I ran over his toes pretty badly once, so I had to go back his current one which holds him beside rather than in front of the wheel. The head collar is to keep him moving forward and not twisting around to potentially hurt himself when he tries to turn to watch other dogs or prey animals.

Can I ask what kind of dog? :smile9:

Terii

15. A.D.

A.D. #1 Custodian

Region:
    SouthEast
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Athens
    Ride:
    Reynolds T-Bone