1. Welcome to the Recumbent Riders International forums.
    You are currently viewing the discussion boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post and reply to topics, communicate privately with other members, download/upload content and access other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please,
    Join the community today!
    If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Day 6 Bicycles targeted at an expanding “baby-boomer” market

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussions' started by NewsBot, Feb 4, 2008.  |  Print Topic

1. NewsBot

NewsBot Fetching Recumbent News

Name:
    I am a Robot
    DENVER (January 30, 2008) – Marken International Inc., Bozeman, Montana has chosen Thomas Taber & Drazen (TTD) as its first advertising/marketing agency of record for it’s newest brand, Day 6 Bicycles, according to Bryan Thomas, chief executive officer of the independent advertising agency. The Day 6 bicycles, targeted at an expanding “baby-boomer” market, were launched in 2004. The account, previously unassigned, was awarded based on the reputation of the agency and billings were not disclosed. Day 6 Bicycles, www.day6bicycles.com, offers two lines of semi-recumbent bikes called the Journey and the Dream. Available in two sizes, the bicycles offer a combination of “comfort, performance, safety and ergonomics on wheels”, according to the company. Working with Day 6 Bicycles’ Chief Operating Officer Torger Sikveland and Marketing Director Eric Murphy, the TTD team will engage in research and strategy initiatives to help position and brand the company to its target audience. An important lead-component of the marketing will be a direct response effort along with an aggressive print, broadcast and online campaign, expected to debut late winter or early spring, according to Mr. Thomas. Mr. Sikveland commented, “Our association with Marken International allows us to rely on twenty years of knowledge in seating and positioning equipment. This helps us to make Day 6 Bicycles the most comfortable and ergonomically correct bicycle in the marketplace. Now our new partnership with Thomas Taber & Drazen will help us grow Day 6 Bicycles into a leader in the bicycle industry.” Marken International manufactures seating and positioning equipment for the geriatric and rehabilitation markets using our brand, The Comfort Company. Established in 1988, Marken currently serves the United States and Canada with operations located in Milwaukee, Wisconsin and Bozeman, Montana.

taken from Daily Business News

2. wrmathis

wrmathis

Region:
    NorthEast
    State/Country:
    IL
    Ride:
    Rans or Dream 2
    Name:
    Bill
    Has anyone ridden one of these or something similar?? I'm not sure I'm ready to go to a full recumbent as I ride primarily to work in a suburban setting - stop lights, stop signs, etc. & like to put one or both feet down when I stop, but this one looks interesting.

3. Denise

Denise

Region:
    South
    State/Country:
    FL
    Ride:
    RANS
    Name:
    Denise
    I like the idea of the handlebar being high. These look comfortable.

4. A.D.

A.D. #1 Custodian

Region:
    SouthEast
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Athens
    Ride:
    Reynolds T-Bone
    Name:
    AD
    We recently took delivery of the Day6 Bicycle 21speed Dream to review. day6 bicycles

They DO look comfortable, I just tripped across this review with some better pictures so thought I'd re-post it here...

We recently took delivery of the Day6 Bicycle 21speed Dream to review.

[​IMG]

I was able to ride the Day6 in between my mountain biking adventures
    this past weekend.

Here are some specs:
    Frame Aluminum 6061
    fork Cr-Mo
    Stem Alloy
    Head Set Neco/Alloy
    Crank Pro wheel/Alloy
    Tire Front/Rear Kenda Komfort 26 x 1.95
    Rim Double wall, CNC sidewall, Alloy
    Casette Shimano
    derailleur Front/Rear Shimano Altus 21 speed
    Shifter SRAM MRX Comp+
    freewheel Shimano
    V-brake Front/Rear ProMax/Alloy
    seat Velo 11″
    Seat Day 6 Custom Injection Molded – 17″
    Back Day 6 Custom Injection Molded – with lumbar and integrated travel pack
    Weight Approximate 35 34
    Wheel Base 51″
    Weight Limit 250 pounds
    Rider Size 5’4″ – 6’3″ Approximate
    Rider Size 4’8″ – 5’7″ Approximate
    Colors Cobalt Blue, Metallic Burgundy
    MSRP $729
    [​IMG]

The Dream demo bike we have came with a very comfy SL seat/backrest combo.

[​IMG]

The dream was able to accommodate a wee little lad like me, standing at a towering 5’7″ and all the way down to my 10 year old daughter who is right at my shoulders. The back rest is set up on a fully adjustable boom, which allows the rider to cater it to their needs and comfort level.

[​IMG]

One of the neat things about the Dream was this built in storage compartment in the backrest. It’s big enough to fit your lock, bag, purse, some food and of course a patch kit. I haven’t tried it yet, but I’m sure my Chihuahua could fit in there!

[​IMG]

A great upgradeable option for this bike is the ability to take on disc brakes. The frame has reinforced gussets to help improve with strength and long term durability.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Through out the weekend I rode the Dream around and its very comfy. I thought that the longer wheel base and angled fork would have make it weird to ride, but to my surprise it rode much like a regular bike. I really enjoyed the plush seat and back rest. I have to admit, its not everyday that I get to ride a recumbent so starting off the first few times can be a bit tricky. But I’m a smart cookie, so I quickly learned that I have to do more steering with my hips than the bars. In mountain biking there’s a simple rule you have to follow, anything below 8mph, you use the handle bars to steer. Anything over 8mph, you use your weight, same applies to the Day6.

What’s great about the Day6 is that you’re in this relaxed riding position, so there is no pressure on your hands or shoulders. When climbing a hill, I found that it to be easy, all I had to do was drop to an easy gear, push back against the seat/back rest and let the bike do its thing.

The last recumbent I rode was a SUN EZ. That bike was pretty scary going down hills and hitting speeds over 30mph. But the the Dream was stable all through out the ride, even over 30mph.

We’ll be testing the Day6 Dream in the next few weeks and stick around, we’re going to do something super exciting with this bike…Our friend Torger Sikveland, Sales Director of Day6 Bicycles has given us the OK to raffle this bike away. That’s right, after we’ve done our formal review, you can own this very bike! Sweet eh? Don’t worry, I’ll make sure to take good care of it so when the day comes that we have to ship it out to you, the bike will be in great shape. So make sure you come back for the review, but for more information about the Day6 Dream, just visit their website!

source bikecommuters

5. A.D.

A.D. #1 Custodian

Region:
    SouthEast
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Athens
    Ride:
    Reynolds T-Bone
    Name:
    AD
    They're so much fun. It's like being a kid again!"

See what more folks have written at buzzillions.com about these bikes. :jiggy9:

6. RealEngr

RealEngr Supporter

Region:
    SouthEast
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Seymour
    Ride:
    EDGE Koosah
    Name:
    Bill

Made in Taiwan. good idea though. Easy to make. Basically an ugly Townie with bench seat and backrest.

7. A.D.

A.D. #1 Custodian

Region:
    SouthEast
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Athens
    Ride:
    Reynolds T-Bone
    Name:
    AD
    Agreed, but as an entry level to get folks back 'on' a bicycle (after years of not riding one) it seems to serve that market.

I still recall my first HUFFY bike as an adult. I rode it for probably two years not really knowing how much better a bike could be, until co-workers stated "If you 'like' your HUFFY, you'll 'LOVE' ANYthing else you try!?" ha, ha

8. Rocketmantn

Rocketmantn Rider

Region:
    East
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Knoxville
    Ride:
    Strada, Corsa
    Name:
    Jon
    AD,

Thanks for always finding interesting news to put on the RRI site! (And keeping us up and running!!!)

:thumbsup:

For those who do not know, without AD